Shoreham: a modern historic town?
Could this be the new gateway to East Street from the south? The incoming owners of the Ferry Inn (currently the Ferry Rigg Inn) are looking to move it both into the future and to reclaim its past. The future is in the new, more modern look, but the past is in the return to its traditional name (removing the Rigg added by the previous owners) and adding the very prominent display of its original opening year.
I rather like it. How about you?
The pub is in one of Shoreham's conservation zones, though, so we'll wait to see what the planners say…
In the meantime, moves are afoot to preserve more of the character of the older areas of Shoreham, with a council discussion this week taking tentative steps forwards. Two areas in or around Shoreham were being discussed: Kingston Buci, and the area around St Nicholas and the Tollbridge.
The council decided to move ahead to a public consultation:
It is hoped that a six week consultation can take place before the council breaks for Christmas so that the ‘rather out of date’ character appraisals — some of which date back to the 1990s — can be updated.
The Airport gets a Plaque
Our airport is 111 years old — and it's not just the oldest in the country, it's the oldest purpose-built commercial airport in the world. And that dual claim to historical fame is finally being celebrated with a new information plaque on the building.
The plaque is part of a National Transport Trust scheme, that's similar to the blue plaques installed by English Heritage.
Local entrepreneur Roisin Meredith is up for a national award for her successful start-up business.
Within three years, Roisin has seen her business grow across Sussex, selling her vegan water Kefir online, in shops, in cafes, and in delicacies. She also now has two part-time members of staff, runs workshops, and gives educational talks on fermentation.
You can sample her wares from the website:
- Evidence that some planning applications do get refused…
- A local resident and former sports teacher has joined the police.
With only two more months on your 2021 clanedar, it's time to pick up your 2022 one. And what better than a calender of our lively town?
Tickets are on sale for the Legends Festival on the Rec next July:
The Week Ahead
A round-up of events happening in Shoreham-by-Sea in the coming week.
- 7.30pm — An Evening with Murray Lachlan Young at the Ropetackle
- 8.00pm — The Jackals at the Duke of Wellington
- 8.00pm — The Treason Show at the Ropetackle
- 8.00pm — Melody Rayfield Duo at The Bridge
- 8.30pm — Bloody Mary at the Piston Broke
- 9.00pm — Back to the 80s at the Crown & Anchor
- 10.30am — Modern Cautionary Tales for Children – Murray Lachlan Young at the Ropetackle
- 11.00am — Book Launch: Down Channel at the Marlipins Museum
- 2.00pm — David Olusoga -The Job of a Historian (livestream — physical event sold out)
- 4.00pm — Jazz Session at the Duke of Wellington
- 8.00pm — Shoreham Rock'n'Roll club at the Shoreham Centre
- 8.00pm — Too Old to Die Young — JB's Birthday Bash at the Duke of Wellington
- 8.00pm — Grupo Lokito at the Shoreham Centre
- 8.00pm — Laura Ward and The Risen Road at St Mary de Haura
- 8.30pm — Backbeat at the Piston Broke
- 1.00pm — Matthew VanKan's Jazz & Swing Session at The Bridge
- 2.00pm — Give Lots Away Day all over town
- 4.30pm — Lee Pryor at the Piston Broke
- 5.00pm — Hanna B & the Angels of Elsewhere at the Duke of Wellington
- 7.00pm — Marilyn Stafford: A Life in Photographs at the Shoreham Centre
- 8.00pm — Keith James – The Songs Of Leonard Cohen at the Ropetackle
- 7.30pm — Seals Come To Shoreham – Stephen Savage at the Ropetackle
- 10.30am — Age Is A Stage: drama workshop for over 50s at The Ropetackle
- 8.00pm — Dervish at the Ropetackle
- 8.15pm — Open Mic Night at the Duke of Wellington
- 8.30pm — Crown & Anchor Quiz Night
- 9.30am — Shoreham Beach Swim from Ferry Road
- 7.00pm — Bingo at the Harbour Club
- 7.30pm — Folk Night with the Rude Mechanicals at the Duke of Wellington
- 7.30pm — An Evening with Cerys Matthews at the Ropetackle
- 7.45pm — Outspoken Words at the Welly at the Duke of Wellington
- 8.00pm – Le Vent du Nord at the Ropetackle
- The Crabtree reopens!
- 11.30am and 1.30pm — Short Stories, Tall Tales – Amy’s Rocket at the Ropetackle
- 7.30pm — Ropetackle Film Club: To Have and Have Not
- 7.30pm — Britain Standing at the Crossroads at the Shoreham Centre
- 8.00pm — Oktober Fest – ja! Sputnik at the Duke of Wellington
- 9.00pm — Live music at the Swiss Cottage
- 9.00pm — Back to the 80s at the Crown & Anchor
- 9.15am — Shoreham Swell Swim with Dip Advisor
- 10.30m — Children’s Detective Game with Gavin Milnthorpe at the Methodist Church Hall
- 11.00am and 2.00pm — Long Nose Puppets presents The Hug at the Ropetackle
- 1.00pm — Shoreham Allstars at the Duke of Wellington
- 7.00pm — Hannah Renton Acoustic Guitar at The Bridge
- 8.00pm — Oktober Fest – DJ Dan Byrne at the Duke of Wellington
- 8.30pm — Barnstormers Comedy Club at the Ropetackle
Want your event listed here? Email us at [email protected].