New views — and controversial views
The town keeps changing — but the people are trying to take back control. Plus all the news you need and all the events in town in the build up to Halloween.
Walking across the Adur Ferry Bridge today, it was quite shocking to see such a new view. The old yacht club and its outbuildings are gone, giving a clear view across to the garage, for the first time in decades. You can see it for yourself above.
Towns, of course, never stop changing — but louder voices are making themselves about the future of our town.
ACTing together for Shoreham’s future
On Monday this week, a packed Ropetackle Centre played host to a meeting of all the local organisations who are concerned about the direction of the town’s future.
In particular, the lack of investment in services, including sewage and secondary schools, was a big concern to many attending. So, too, was the growing traffic problem — with no scope to add new roads, a new and more sustainable approach to traffic management is needed.
Oh, and our number of GPs has actually gone down despite the number of residents going up. And there don’t appear to be any concrete plans to address the issue.
The general mood was that:
- The council is not really holding developers to account
- Too many planning meetings are still being held at too short notice, and behind closed doors
If you want to know more, join ACT’s Facebook group and you can watch the meeting on YouTube.
Shoreham Beach gets a green flag
Shoreham Beach — and Lancing Ring — have been given the Green Flag. But what the heck is a Green Flag? It’s an international accreditation for well-managed outdoors spaces.
Lancing Ring LNR and Shoreham Beach LNR will now be added to the coveted list that also boasts Buckingham Park and Lancing Manor Park in Adur and Beach House Park, Highdown Gardens, Field Place and Marine Gardens in Worthing.
- Have you been keeping up with the adventures of Ed the Bear?
- The National Coastwatch station on Shoreham Beach (by the Fort) edges closer to some much-needed new equipment, thanks to the bravery of a volunteer.
- A photographer and his family visited the beach…
- Dinkie Flowers (our 100-year-old famous dancer) has been out partying.
A photographer’s day on the Adur
Deprived of the opportunity to launch his canoe (was he talking about the Adur Outdoors Activity Centre?), Haydn Thomas spent the day shooting wildlife in the Adur Estuary.
Shoreham FC wins an award for sustainability
This is fantastic news:
Congratulations, Shoreham FC for winning the club strategy award at the British Association for Sustainable Sports (BASIS) awards. This is the first-ever BASIS awards which is great for the club. The club was up against Premier League opposition, Norwich FC and Southampton FC.
Oh, and their sustainability efforts have been profiled by The Guardian:
The Week Ahead
A round-up of events happening in Shoreham-by-Sea in the coming week.
- 5.30pm — Gigz4Kids at the Harbour Club
- 8.00pm — TV Smith and Richard Strange at the Duke of Wellington
- 8.30pm — Fox Bros at the Piston Broke
- 9.00pm — Back to the 80s at the Crown & Anchor
- 10.00am — Mickey and Minnie Mouse at the Cancer Research Shop
- 10.00am — Coffee morning at St Nicolas Church, Old Shoreham
- 10.30am — Dolls House & Miniatures Fair at the Shoreham Centre
- 5.30pm — Christian Larsmon Acoustic Guitar Singer session at the Bridge
- 8.00pm — Stephen Leppard at the Marlipins
- 8.00pm — Katie Harrison, Pure Sax at the Crabtree
- 8.00pm — Petty Criminals – Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers Tribute at the Ropetackle
- 8.00pm — The Informers at the Duke of Wellington
- 8.00pm — Comedy Night at the Harbour Club
- 8.30pm — Chasing Angels at the Piston Broke
- 9.00pm — Floor Fillers at the Crown & Anchor
- 1.00pm — Arevieje: Singer-Songwriter & Guitarist at the Bridge
- 3.00pm — Lee Pryor at The Marlipins
- 4.30pm — Changing Faces at the Piston Broke
- 5.00pm — Voodoo Kitchen at the Duke of Wellington
- 8.00pm — The Kubricks + Support at the Ropetackle
- 6.30pm — Young Voices Community Choir (9 to 15 year olds) at the Church of the Good Shepherd
- 2.00pm — Family Film: A Shaun The Sheep Movie — Farmageddon at the Ropetackle
- 4.30pm — Spooky Movie Night at the Swiss Cottage
- 8.30pm — Open Mic Night at the Duke of Wellington
- 8.30pm — Crown & Anchor Quiz Night
- 2.00pm — Card Ninja at the Ropetackle
- 7.00pm — Pre-Halloween Disco at the Harbour Club
- 7.30pm — Rude Mechanicals at the Duke of Wellington
- 11.30am — The Amazing Bubble Man at the Ropetackle
- 2.00pm — The Amazing Bubble Man at the Ropetackle
- 7.00pm — Quiz Night at the Sussex Yacht Club
- 7.30pm — Let’s Get Quizzical at the Ropetackle
- 8.00pm — DJ Rich — Around the World in Eighty Years at the Duke of Wellington
- 6.00pm — Halloween Disco at the Harbour Club
- 6.00pm — Poco Loco Mexican Halloween Special at Tom Foolery
- 8.00pm — Gryphon — Reinvented? Again? at the Ropetackle
- 8.00pm — Decadent Dayze at the Duke of Wellington
- 9.00pm — Back to the 80s at the Crown & Anchor
Want your event listed here? Email us at [email protected].